MG James Ursano Children's Scholarship Program
DEADLINE IS 1 APRIL 2023. This scholarship application is for the 2023-2024 academic year.
The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program for Dependent Children helps Army families pay for undergraduate college expenses for their dependent children.
Funds may be used toward tuition, fees, books, supplies, and room and board. Awards are need-based as determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the SAR from the FAFSA. Award amounts vary each year based on the applicant’s EFC, our total approved budget, and the number of complete applications received by AER.
- be the dependent child of an active duty or retired Soldier
- be under the age of 24
- remain unmarried for the entire academic year
- maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA and be pursuing his/her first undergraduate degree at an accredited college or university.
- not be a member of the military or be attending a military academy
The scholarship cycle runs from 1 January through 1 April for the upcoming academic year. All scholarship recipients are notified of their award by email and funds are sent directly to the school indicated during the the scholarship acceptance process prior to each semester. Please read the PROGRAM GUIDELINES document on the Army Emergency Relief Website for detailed information about our scholarship program.
If you have applied for an AER scholarship previously and already have an account on this site, click Sign In.
If this is your first time applying for an AER scholarship, click Sign Up.
- Supplemental Questions
- We communicate primarily by email. To ensure you receive all communications, please add firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book. Otherwise, our emails may go to your spam/junk folders. Indicate below that you have added these email addresses to your email address book and understand if you do not, you may not receive your award notice and other important information from us.
- Scholarship Applicant's First Name
- Scholarship Applicant's Middle Name
- Scholarship Applicant's Last Name
- Scholarship Applicant's Suffix (Jr., III, etc.)
- Scholarship Applicant's DoD ID Number (DO NOT ENTER YOUR SSN OR BENEFITS NUMBER)
- Scholarship Applicant's Mailing Address
- Scholarship Applicant's City
- Scholarship Applicant's State
- What is the Scholarship Applicant's zip code?
- Scholarship Applicant's Primary Phone Number
- Scholarship Applicant's Date of Birth
- What is the Scholarship Applicant's age as of 1 August 2023?
- What is the Scholarship Applicant's marital status?
- Is the Scholarship Applicant current or prior military?
- If the Scholarship Applicant is prior military, upload a copy of the Scholarship Applicant's DD214
- Has the Scholarship Applicant received an AER scholarship previously?
- For the 2023-2024 academic year, the Scholarship Applicant will be enrolled in college as a:
- What is the scholarship applicant's major course of study?
- What is the Scholarship Applicant's planned college enrollment for FALL 2023?
- What is the Scholarship Applicant's planned college enrollment for SPRING 2024?
- Upload Scholarship Applicant's complete transcript showing all courses and cumulative GPA through the most recently completed term.
- If the Scholarship Applicant has an additional transcript, please upload it here:
- Enter the Scholarship Applicant's current cumulative GPA (through the most recently completed term) on an unweighted 4.0 scale.
- Upload the Scholarship Applicant's COMPLETE (all pages) 2023-2024 Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA as a pdf. We do not accept the FAFSA confirmation, FAFSA Summary, acknowledgement pages, or screenshots of the first page. Please read the help text on this question for more information.
- Enter the Scholarship Applicant's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) shown on the top of the 1st page of the Student Aid Report (SAR). Please read the help text for this question for more information about your EFC limit.
- The Scholarship Applicant's Soldier Sponsor's Military Branch is:
- Soldier Sponsor's DoD ID Number (DO NOT ENTER THE SSN OR BENEFITS NUMBER)
- Soldier Sponsor's Duty Status
- Based on your answer above, please upload the following:
- Active Duty - upload Soldier Sponsor's most recent LES or Title 10 Orders
- Deceased Active - upload Soldier Sponsor's Casualty Report
- Retired - upload Soldier Sponsor's DD214
- Soldier Sponsor's ETS Date (if active duty)
- Soldier Sponsor's Current Rank
- Soldier Sponsor's First Name
- Soldier Sponsor's Middle Name
- Soldier Sponsor's Last Name
- Soldier Sponsor's Primary Phone Number
- What is the name of the nearest Army installation?
- By entering your name below, the Scholarship Applicant agrees to the following:
I voluntarily give required confidential information with this application to allow proper evaluation of the identity and eligibility of applicant for AER assistance. I understand this consent permits AER to disclose information wherever necessary and that AER will not keep record of disclosures of information regarding this scholarship application. I authorize the Director, AER, or his/her representative, as required, to verify any information herein by contacting an appropriate office or official. I agree the information provided on the application is correct and complete to the best of my knowledge.
- Disclosure Statement: Since Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a nonprofit corporation, the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 552c) is not applicable. However, AER wants participants to be fully aware and acknowledge the need for and required use of the information provided.
Participation in the AER Scholarship Programs is voluntary. All requested information is required for participation. The requested information will be used to verify identity and determine eligibility of applicants. Also, the requested information will be used to publicize scholarship recipients in various publications and via social media. Applicant - enter your name below indicating you have read this statement.
- Show 34 more